Monday, January 3, 2011

Well, hello there!

Wow, it's been ages, hasn't it? I suppose I go through phases when it comes to my hobbies and the last couple of months I just wasn't all that interested in crafting and spent my time on other things instead. But then Christmas came and I got into my knitting mojo again! So here I am, back at Brei Blog, wishing you all a very happy new year and showing off the things I've been working on lately.

Scarf


First of all I finally finished the One Row Handspun Scarf that I mentioned here. I'm giving it as a present to my uncle for his birthday next week. I used almost six full skeins of Inca Cloud for this scarf. Heh, it took me over three months to complete this scarf. I like the outcome but I hated the pattern, which bored me because it needed to be repeated so many times.

Scarf fluff


Then I got it into my head to knit up a nice hat. A hat for me, myself and I! I've had a crush on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Ganomy Hat for a super long time, so I decided to cast on for it. I didn't exactly got gauge but who cares about gauge, right? And so I did some half assed maths and decided to cast on 99 stitches instead of the 80 in the pattern on my 3,5 mm needles. Needless to say, my hat turned out way to small. Though it can now be used by my two year old. But I love it greatly and wish it would be bigger. I used about threequarters of a skein of Hjertegarn Merino Silk in colorway 8377 for this hat.

Ganomy Hat


But I didn't give up just like that! I wanted a Ganomy hat, and I wanted it now! So I casted on again, the original 80 stitches on the same 3,5 mm needles, this time using over half a skein of Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in Periwinkle. And surely this hat turned out larger.. but unfortunatly still too narrow. And my head isn't even that big! I'm quite disappointed in my failure and I think it will take a while for me to try this pattern again. I still love the hat though, when it turns out right. It looks so cute!

Ganomy Hat


Oh and before I forget, I've made a new years resolution that I should mention here! This year, I will only knit and crochet with materials found in my stash, because it desperatly needs to be reduced in size, since I want to be able to store all my crafting supplies in one closet from now on. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I joined the Year Of Stash Socks on Ravelry. The point is to knit a pair of socks a month using only stash yarn. It seems like this is the mood of the day - creating with what we have. Consumerism is overrated. I was in the knitting store yesterday and I was so tempted to buy yarn, but I resisted and I'm giving myself to enjoy the satisfaction of seeing my stash decrease. So I wish you Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete